Jump to navigationJump to search
Revision as of 17:20, 5 May 2020 by Webref (Created page with "# A zone in which contact metamorphism has taken place. <br/>Source: Leet, L. Don. 1982. Physical Geology, 6th Edition. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall # A circular or cre...")
- A zone in which contact metamorphism has taken place.
Source: Leet, L. Don. 1982. Physical Geology, 6th Edition. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall
- A circular or crescentic distribution pattern about the source or origin of a mineral, ore, mineral association, or petrographic feature. It is encountered principally in magnetic and geochemical surveys. CF: dispersion pattern
- Discoloration of a mineral, viewed in thin section, in the form of a ring. Most haloes of this sort are caused by radiation damage by alpha particles emitted from uranium- and thorium-bearing mineral inclusions. AGI
- A zone surrounding an igneous intrusion, in which the country rock shows the effects of contact metamorphism. Syn: contact zone; metamorphic aureole. AGI
- A zone of alteration or other chemical reaction surrounding a mineral in a rock.
- See: halo
Source: Dictionary of Mining, Mineral, and Related Terms
Sponsor: Download ASSP Standards