From WebRef.orgJump to navigationJump to search
- The quartz wedge inserted in the microscope substage above the polarizer in order to estimate birefringence and to determine optical sign of uniaxial minerals. CF: quartz wedge
- The selenite plate that gives the sensitive tint of a specimen between crossed nicols. Pryor, 3
- The mica plate that retards yellow light. Pryor, 3
- In polarized-light microscopy, an optical device that may be inserted into the light train to alter light interference after passage through, or reflection by, a crystalline material; e.g., quartz wedge, mica plate, gypsum plate, or Bertrand lens.
- In polarized-light microscopy, an optical compensator that may be inserted into the light train to alter birefringence after light passage through or reflection by an anisotropic material; e.g., quartz wedge, mica plate, gypsum plate, or Berek compensator. Syn: gips plate; glimmer plate; compensator. CF: Berek compensator; gypsum plate.
Source: Dictionary of Mining, Mineral, and Related Terms
Sponsor: High Quality VINYL FLOORING Strip, professional manufacturers!